I Made This Dress When I Was Seven

by Sherry Riter in Beauty

I think I really just discovered that I am a truly talented woman!

I was surfing, (What a surprise, right?) and discovered a models’ fashion page. Perusing through the beautiful clothing, I glanced at the the prices and “Whoaaa Baby!”

I found a dress very similar to the prom dress I made for Alyssa. I used black bridal satin (on sale) and hand-made each rose (16 hours). It was tailored to her body thus a perfect fit. Compare the two…

Donna Karan vs The Redhead Riter

Why exactly is Donna Karan able to sell that dress for $2,595.00? I think I picked the wrong profession! On top of that, why didn’t my mother do the same thing as Donna Karan?!

I’m just blown away.

As I continued in disbelief, I found a dress I made for my Barbie when I was seven years old. Note the price and don’t faint.

Donna Khttp://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=5285705615035988584&postID=1511243641518374252aren Shawl Evening Gown Purple

Okay, I’ll admit. It wasn’t exactly like that, but you remember wrapping the Barbie with material and it looking something similar.

All of the following are really “my style” so hopefully you will enjoy them too.

Oscar de la Renta Fashion
Oscar de la Renta
Diane Von Furstenberg Fashion
Diane Von Furstenberg pants and dress
Diane Von Furstenberg dress and pants
Diane Von Furstenberg dress and dress
I thought that this Diane Von Furstenberg bathing suit
was just my style until I saw the back…
No, no, no – That part of my body does not see the light of day :o)
Diane Von Furstenberg bathing suit
Benjamin Cho Fashion
Benjamin Cho
Benjamin Cho puts a whole new twist on puzzles and knitting
Benjamin Cho Puzzle top and Knit dress

Why exactly is it that I don’t have time to sew any more?

Oh yeah, that’s right. I’m blogging!

I Spy On You
Fabric Makes A Difference
Motivation with Frogs
Basic HTML for Images
Tableware-Elegant China
Get More Page Views
Copyright© Get The Facts

1 Unknown Mami November 7, 2009 at 4:41 am

The dress you made is outstanding!

2 Lauren November 7, 2009 at 4:52 am

The dress you made is beautiful. You could make some serious moola with those skills!

3 Bombshell BLISS November 7, 2009 at 8:27 am

Holy cow woman! I think you did miss your calling. What a beautiful dress! And yes, I get the, "that part of my body not seeing the light of day" thing. LOL

4 Oh Sew Good November 7, 2009 at 11:42 am

You are very talented. I don't know if you watch Project Runway. We decided to watch one season because my daughter is in to fashion. They had one fella on there with no "formal" training who did exceptionally well. All the way to the top 5. Maybe you could go on a show like that. I think you're talented enough. 🙂

5 Scrappy Girl November 7, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Wow that dress is so nice that you made…the model is beautiful too! My mom used to sew alot, but not she is too into quilting.

6 Saraswathan November 7, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Exquisite design! Love the presentation. Hey BTW thanks for your nice suggestion and review of my site. I shall try to add pictures and perhaps you can visit after a while and have a look again. Thanks.

7 Debbie November 7, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Thank you! Now I know exactly what to do with those half-finished knitting projects of mine. I'm just going to wear them needles and all:)

8 Teresha@Marlie and Me November 7, 2009 at 5:19 pm

I love seeing the prom dress you made for Alyssa. It's so much more beautiful than the mass-manufactured stuff you see in dept. stores (not to mention more than one girl is always wearing the same dress at the dance, LOL!). Maybe you can tie in your talent for sewing into your blogging. I'd buy something!

9 Erin M. November 7, 2009 at 6:53 pm

That dress you made is sensational. Love the handmade flowers, too. You are clearly very talented!

10 Judy Harper November 7, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Alyssa's dress is beautiful! I made my daughters dresses as well, it always made me feel good when I made one that she liked and wore! I liked most of the styles, except no way, unless it's Halloween, would I wear the knitted dress with the hands!

11 Queenie Jeannie November 7, 2009 at 10:16 pm

I love sewing but the Army contracted movers smashed my beloved machine and wouldn't replace it! And I haven't either.

Great job on the prom dress!! Gorgeous!

12 Yaya November 7, 2009 at 10:35 pm

What the-knit dress?? Creepy!

I can't believe people actually pay these prices for a dress.

13 Nancy Campbell November 8, 2009 at 2:27 am

Wow, wow, wow! I can barely sew on a button, so I am IN AWE. The pictures are gorgeous, too.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looking forward to reading more of yours!