Don’t Blink or Look Too Closely at Your Chocolate

by Sherry Riter in Health,Women Stuff

I could bathe in chocolate. Actually, I have and it was lovely, smooth, and delicious…Wait! That will have to be a different post!

Chocolate is an important part of most women’s lives. We all have our preferences, but when necessary (there are times that it is of the utmost in importance), we will eat any brand regardless of the molded shape or the name on the wrapping.

bar and liquid chocolate respectively

There is an actual metamorphosis of mood when chocolate is consumed and scientific proof to support it. A few basic chocolate facts that are common, but not well known:
cocoa pods
  1. produced from the seed of the tropical cacao tree
  2. cacao has been cultivated for at least three millennia in Mexico, Central and South America
  3. earliest documented use around 1100 BC
  4. the seeds of the cacao tree have an intense bitter taste, and must be fermented to develop the flavor
  5. after fermentation, the beans are dried, cleaned, and roasted, and the shell is removed to produce cacao nibs which are then ground and liquefied
  6. “white chocolate” contains cocoa butter, sugar, and milk but no cocoa solids (and thus does not qualify to be considered true chocolate)
  7. contains alkaloids such as theobromine and phenethylamine, which have physiological effects on the body (linked to serotonin levels in the brain thus the mood elevating effect)
  8. scientists claim that chocolate, eaten in moderation, can lower blood pressure
  9. dark chocolate contains antioxidants that reduce the formation of free radicals
  10. maximum permissible level of insect filth allowed in chocolate and chocolate liquor is an average of 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams (when 6 100 g sub-samples are examined) THAT GROSSES ME OUT!

before and after eating chocolate

I still love chocolate even if I know there are ground bugs in it. Chocolate is a part of our culture and history.

How powerful is chocolate? This little clip explains it all…

laughing animated bug 1 title= animated bug 2 laughing

Will you continue to eat chocolate although you know it has ground critters in it? How important is chocolate to you?

What’s appearing on the other blogs?

AWinter Cherry
Sofas, Couches, Settes, Fabric and Vampires
Motivation with Frogs
Basic HTML for Images
Recipe: Banana Bread
Get More Page Views
#1 Laws of Advertising

1 Kelly November 18, 2009 at 4:13 am

Mmmmm bug guts! I'll still eat chocolate… I'll just try hard not to think of the guts and buggy parts while doing so!

I am also suddenly thankful I usually pick salty treats over sweet ones!

2 PictureGirl November 18, 2009 at 4:50 am

Now! You didn't have to tell us about the bugs!
Shame on you! LOL

Love the commercial with the non-blinking woman.

3 bluecottonmemory November 18, 2009 at 5:18 am

Did you know that it contributes to Esophagitus i.e. Acid Reflux? My son can't eat chocolate, caffeine, or mint because it causes severe esophagiele (sp) pain! However, he loves chocolate and we are discovering the world of White Chocolate!

4 Anonymous November 18, 2009 at 5:31 am

There are critters in everthing we get from a supper market!! Those who choose salty treats over sweets usually are made with flour, weebles, little worms in flour along with their eggs. Who cares, protein is good for you,lol. Nothing can turn this ole woman from chochlate,hmmmmmmmmmmmm. remember my chochlate kisses under my bed? lol

5 Cairo Typ0 November 18, 2009 at 9:43 am

The bugs just mean that there's extra protein in there!!

6 Miss Always Carried Away November 18, 2009 at 9:59 am

Ohh my… of course I love chocolate! especially milk one with almonds inside! I can kill for this one!!! Once I went to Nestle chocolate manufactory! In the end they give you free small bars of chocolate! and I have to say it's very rich chocolate! Most of people ate like 3-4…. with my firend we ate like 8-10! I was barely walking afterwards… we had blast!

Have a lovely day!

7 Fruitful Vine2 November 18, 2009 at 10:48 am

That video was totally funny. I no longer eat much chocolate but you've just about almost destroyed my memories of white chocolate by saying it does not qualify and then the bug thing just about almost shredded my other chocolate memories.

8 Tammy Howard November 18, 2009 at 2:18 pm

It would take a lot more than that to keep me away!!!

9 Judy Harper November 18, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Well, until proven differently, I'm going to pretend it acts the same way as dark chocolate. Bugs and all! The video is too funny! I know how she feels though, especially a Hershey's chocolate bar.

10 Molly November 18, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I have to have some chocolate every day, it can be dark and rich, or a snickers bar. My new fave it, belive it or not, BACON and chocolate! stopping by from SITS!

11 PropellerHeadMom November 18, 2009 at 5:33 pm

I don't mind bugs. Now, if broccoli was somehow ground up into chocolate – that would be gross 🙂 Just kidding

12 Teresha@Marlie and Me November 18, 2009 at 5:56 pm

mmm…Chocolate. I used to eat a piece of chocolate every day until I started breastfeeding and discovered that it gives Marlie gas and reflux when I eat it. I miss it so much!

thanks for the memories!

13 Gamma Sharon November 18, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I love chocolate. It wont stop me!

14 Velva November 18, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Chocolate one of natures finest food! A piece of dark, orange flavored chocolate with a glass of red wne-Out of this world!
Great blog post!

Stopping by from SITS.

15 Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" November 19, 2009 at 12:01 am

Love chocolate. I'll just pretend I never heard about that bug thing unless I'm trying to avoid eating some, then I'll remind myself of the bug fact. Like your before and after chocolate pictures–very good!

Visiting from SITS.

16 Sandra November 20, 2009 at 12:31 am

Mmmm…chocolate. One of my favorite foods on the pyramid. OK, it's not a food on the pyramid, but, I like to live with this fantasy.