The Beauty of Sleeping

by Sherry Riter in Alyssa,Depression,Health,Memory

beautiful children sign

A nap is a short period of sleep, usually in the day time. Naps are frequently taken when one becomes drowsy during the day or otherwise wants to feel awake at a later period of time that day. They are also often frequently taken by small children.

Naps are great on Sunday afternoon…

Image: 1993 Alyssa (my daughter) and her dad (my ex-husband)

Image: 1995 Brittany (my niece)

A few sleeping facts:

The Harvard-run Nurses’ Health Study has linked insufficient or irregular sleep to an increased risk for heart disease, breast cancer and colon cancer. Erratic sleep has also been researched by other groups that link protein and hormone production fluctuations as a contributing factor associated with these diseases.

“We have in our society this idea that you can just get by without sleep or manipulate when you sleep without any consequences,” said Lawrence Epstein, president of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. “What we’re finding is that’s just not true.”

Sleep deprivation is associated with numerous medical illnesses and some serious problems including:

High blood pressure
    Heart attack
    Psychiatric problems including depression
    Poor quality of life
    Stressed relationships
    Consistent lethargy
    Mental impairment/loss of memory
    Shortened attention span
    Occupational Injury
    Automobile Injury
    Sexual dysfunction
    Increases perception of pain

How Much Sleep Do You Need?

1-4 Weeks Old 15 ½ – 16 ½ hours per day
1-4 Months Old 14 ½ – 15 ½ hours per day
4-12 Months Old 14 – 15 hours per day
1-3 Years Old 12 – 14 hours per day
3-6 Years Old 10 ¾ – 12 hours per day
7-12 Years Old 10 – 11 hours per day
12-18 Years Old 8 ¼ – 9 ½ hours per day
Most Adults 7 – 8 hours per night

Do you need to change your sleeping habits or are you getting enough rest each day?

I Spy On You
Fabric Makes A Difference
Motivation with Frogs
Basic HTML for Images
Tableware-Elegant China
Get More Page Views
Copyright© Get The Facts

1 Stacey November 6, 2009 at 5:30 am

I definitely do not get enough sleep!

2 Teresha@Marlie and Me November 6, 2009 at 7:11 am

the good thing about sleep is that you can catch up…that's what I do on the weekends because I run up a serious deficit during the week

3 Teresha@Marlie and Me November 6, 2009 at 7:12 am

p.s. I just love looking at the sleeping beauties!

4 Mesina November 6, 2009 at 11:04 am

Great post and what heavenly pictures. Sleep is something I know all too well, I suffer from a sleep deprived epilepsy and so if I do not get my beauty sleep, someone doesn't cope well with it. I'm used to it, I just need my sleep and ensure I get enough. (mostly)

Stop by my blog when you have time, you have an award waiting for you! x

5 Momma G.Love November 6, 2009 at 11:58 am

Thank you so much for posting this! I could not tell you the last time that I had a good night's sleep. I always wake so tired!

…stopping by from SITS…

Steph @ Stick It in the Fridge

6 gaelikaa November 6, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Hi! Saw you again in the SITS comment box. Have a great weekend.

7 Scrappy Girl November 6, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I get 8 to 9 every night. I would love 10…wish I didn't need so much, but that is always the way I have been!

8 Pam November 6, 2009 at 5:55 pm

I never get enough sleep. I really enjoy a Sunday afternoon nap!

9 Erin M. November 6, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I do get enough sleep according to this chart, but I rarely *feel* like I've gotten enough. I'm always tired. But I suppose that's a side effect of having young children. When does it go away?!?!

10 Janean November 7, 2009 at 1:19 am

uh….*yawn* i just woke up after viewing that fabulously soothing video. man, *yawn* …sorry….i so enjoy the ocean. nothing *wide yawn* relaxes like the sound of waves. i'm going to bed. LOL! great blog — i'm off to read more after i drink a cup of coffee. NOT.

11 Stephanie Faris November 7, 2009 at 2:28 am

I read that about lack of sleep causing obesity recently and I wondered…so if given the choice between going to the gym or taking a nap, does that mean it's better for me to take a nap?

12 Unknown Mami November 7, 2009 at 4:39 am

Sleep is a beautiful thing, so is that picture of your daughter with her Dad.