Who Put The Gray Hair In My Eyebrow?

by Sherry Riter in Alyssa,Health,Red Hair,Women Stuff

Eyebrows have always bothered me. Since mine are the lightest and palest red, I didn’t want to make them too small, but I also didn’t want to have giant caterpillars crawling across my face. My eyebrows drive Alyssa, the Plucking Queen, crazy.

I was applying my makeup while looking in the magnifying mirror when I paused. What is that? Could it be? Oh my goodness! It is a gray hair in my eyebrow! How did that happen?! Well, I know how that happened, but I can’t believe that age is beginning to creep into my eyebrows! I immediately plucked it out!!!

Now I am obsessed with eyebrows and I begin to compare mine with…

big black eyebrow crazy long eyebrow

I start to feel better. Those eyebrows are just atrocious and look unkempt, but then I see…

slim eyebrow beautiful eyebrow Maureen O'Hara eyebrow glamour Maureen O'Hara eyebrow

Now I realize I am not even keeping up with someone who was born in 1920. Maybe I should just ignore the gray in my eyebrows. What is this thing with gray hair anyway? Personally, I think these people are very attractive…especially George…

Dimitri Hvorostovsky Harrison Ford at 66 Richard Gere Meryl Streep George Clooney side view George Clooney so gorgeous

The hair on our heads is made up of a shaft (the colored part) and the root which is surrounded by a tube of tissue under the skin that is called the hair follicle. The hair follicle contains pigment cells which produce melanin and that in turn gives the shaft it’s color. When we get older, the pigment cells in the hair follicle dies which means that each hair gets less melanin and thus less color. In this case, less color is white, silver and gray.

Obviously, it is impossible to avoid this process. Men get to go gray with grace much younger than women due to pressure from society. We have all heard it: Men look distinguished and women look old. I don’t think that is the case with everyone…Look at Meryl Streep! With the knowledge that my hair is just going to keep on turning gray, I can not continue to pull out every gray hair or I will be bald and without eyebrows! Aging is going to be a funny thing to watch on me because although I am not totally vain, I do have some vanity and gray hair does not fit in very well with the picture of myself in my head.

How exactly do I pluck my eyebrows?

The video in the middle of this page —>Pluck Your Eyebrows does a great job at explaining how to mark your eyebrow for plucking according to your own face.

The following video is basically great all the way around and you can see everything she is doing.

I really need to concentrate on getting the shape of my eyebrow “right” before my daughter has a baby cow…LOL. I think I will blow this picture up and put it on the bathroom mirror. She’s got red hair and nice eyebrows…

Maureen O'Hara full

Maureen O’Hara even looks great in black and white. Did anyone ever notice her eyebrows or was it just her big, full lips?

Maureen O'Hara black and white

Maybe if I put collagen in my lips no one will notice my brows.

collagen in lips

Ouch! On second thought, I think I will just concentrate on the eyebrows.

1 Vickie September 10, 2009 at 4:31 am

I haven't seen gray hair on my eyebrows…yet. Even when I have my brows wax they look boring. I don't have that cool arch. Oh well. I still feel better when they are done:)

2 Vickie September 10, 2009 at 4:36 am

I am trying to follow you, but the followers widget is giving me a hard time. I will try later:)

3 greedygrace September 10, 2009 at 5:03 am

Harrison Ford is the hottest old man I've ever seen!

Don't bother plucking yourself– pamper yourself and pay someone else to do it!

4 Alicia September 10, 2009 at 5:35 am

lol….i love you!!! this was hilarious!!! and embrace the gray!! is it weird that i am SO excited to rock the silver mane when i get older?? and man, that last picture is SCARY!!!! btw- i'm not sure if i ever thanked you for the award a while back…i'm so scatterbrained!!! THANKS!! 🙂

5 Stacey September 10, 2009 at 5:35 am

Maureen O'hara was beautiful, and I did notice her eyebrows.

Thank god you can color them also!

6 Tammy Howard September 10, 2009 at 11:23 am

And I am of the dark haired, olive skinned, hirsute, uni-brow variety. My eyebrows are only as nice as my last wax job (which was yesterday, thank you very much)

7 Scrappy Girl September 10, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Oh yum…I love any post that has Richard Gere in it…he just does something for me…anyway…I have terrible eyebrows…mini caterpillars…I need to do better too!

8 Amy September 10, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I say get them colored if you want.

9 KKL Primitives September 10, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I have one gray hair in my left eyebrow – I plucked it out – which was a HUGE mistake…..now I have a mini bald spot where I had at least one hair.

10 confused homemaker September 10, 2009 at 5:39 pm

I think great shaping of the brows makes all the difference. And IMO Gray/Silver hair on men or women is beautiful.

11 Cindy September 10, 2009 at 7:54 pm

You are so funny! No gray yet that I have found, just hope they stay away for a little bit longer. ;o)

12 Tracy September 10, 2009 at 10:56 pm

This definitely got me laughing!

13 Mikki Black September 11, 2009 at 12:47 am

Hey, there, "neighbor". Thanks for visiting my blog today. It's fun to see all the people who come hang out at SITS with us, no?

(PS I found my first grey hair on my 30th birthday! Yikes! An omen, perhaps.)

14 Cara September 11, 2009 at 1:48 am

I never thought I could laugh about eyebrows! too funny! Thanks for visiting from SITS!!!! great stuff!

15 Shawn September 11, 2009 at 1:56 am

Ok, so no gray in my brows—but I get these heavy, strong super hairs that blossom once in a while in my brows—-weird, huh?

16 Tamara aka Cheapskate Mom September 11, 2009 at 3:32 am

oh my eyebrows look like hell right now! I need to pluck them but haven't found the time. Those model pictures, oh goodness! Yeah thanks for the inspiration to pluck away! Ugh…

I just wanted to say you are so nice and I see you all over my friend's blogs! I don't know how you keep up with all that comment love! You are my comment hero! lol…

17 Jane In The Jungle September 11, 2009 at 10:31 am

You are so whack!
Girl I color and pluck everything I have!!! I have always vowed never to turn old gracefully, I figure if I don't act it then I sure better not look it, LOL!! One day I'll grow up!

18 Shelly September 11, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Harrison Ford and George Clooney are both hot, but then so is Meryl Streep. It's sad that society sees men as more distinguished as they age. Not fair I say!

19 Yaya September 14, 2009 at 12:44 am

George Clooney. George Clooney. George Clooney.

Oh wait, we were talking about eyebrows here right? Well, (George Clooney) I too have (George Clooney) those blondy-red (George Clooney) eyebrows. They really (George Clooney) bother me.

20 Christine September 22, 2009 at 1:04 pm

There are some awesome brow wax colors that look very natural and cover the gray. I've got a gray hair…here and there, that I use it on. Although I still tell myself that they are only sun-kissed and natural highlights:)
Maureen had the best brows! Kick-ass arches right there!