Red Light, Green Light

by Sherry Riter in Memory

children playing

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

Sometimes while sitting at an intersection waiting for my turn watching cars run the red light, I remember that fun little game I played in the backyard with the little girl next door called “Red Light, Green Light.” It was a simple game and is played as follows:

traffic lightOne player is chosen to be Red Light. He should stand about 25 yards from the other players, with his back turned towards them.

The other players line up shoulder to shoulder behind him. The goal is to get close enough to tap “Red Light” on the shoulder. The catch is that they can move only when he says, “Green Light.”

To start, “Red Light” closes his eyes and yells, “Green Light!” Players run at top speed toward him until he yells, “Red Light!” and turns around as fast as he can to see if he can catch someone moving. The instant the other players hear “Red Light!” they must stop running. Anyone “Red Light” sees still moving when he turns around must return to the starting line.

This is repeated until a player gets close enough to tap the “Red Light” on the shoulder when his back is turned. This player wins and becomes the next “Red Light.”

If only driving was as simple as this game. Everyone should obey the “Red Light.”

wreck in intersection front end wreck
bus in wreck truck running red light
happy children and a red light

“Avoid the worst. Put safety first.”

1 Night Owl Mama September 19, 2009 at 6:33 am

What a fun post lol I so remember playing that in school

2 Yaya September 19, 2009 at 11:18 am

I loved that game!

3 Tammy Howard September 19, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Sort of an "Everything I Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten" approach.

Love it.

4 confused homemaker September 19, 2009 at 12:52 pm

My children love this game, but somehow it doesn't translate to real life for them. Safety should be first.

5 Teresha@Marlie and Me September 19, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I loved playing that game in school! Last week I was urging my husband to take some echinacea when I noticed him sniffling. He wouldn't then called me a fascist when I quoted "an ounce of prevention…" to him. now he is sick with sinusitis. ha!

6 Lauren September 19, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I agree! I had to get a new car because some fellow sped up to get through his red light and hit me as I was finishing my left turn. Worse yet, he claimed the light was green and I was the one who got a ticket. BOO! Take responsibility people!

7 Unknown Mami September 19, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I love that game. I still love that game.

8 Erin M. September 20, 2009 at 12:43 am

I love that game, too! It's kinda funny how teaching my little ones about red lights/green lights has turned them into backseat drivers. They don't yet comprehend that turning right on red is acceptable—and yell at me that "RED means STOP, Mommy!" every time I do it. They love the game every bit as much as I did when I was their age….so fun!

9 KK September 20, 2009 at 2:23 am