Pete Goldlust – Crayons and Mutations

by Sherry Riter in Art  ,Different

This “twisted” art of Pete Goldlust is not “typical” and requires an odd sense of appreciation. When I was younger I worked in a dental laboratory and I “kept the books” (that is how we used to word things back in the ice age), delivered the teeth and made sure everyone stayed on schedule. One of the processes in preparation to making the actual crowns (teeth) is to create a model of the mouth. That model is made of plaster and to ensure that all the bubbles are removed before it hardens, you place it on a little vibrating machine which floats the bubbles to the top. In the process of putting the plaster into the model, sometimes there are “drips” and when they plop down, it looks very similar to the twisted creations of Pete Goldlust. I’m sure many would disagree, but that is what flashed through my head when I saw his creations.

About his own work, Pete says, “A sense of play is key to each of these creative strategies.” I would probably guess that children love his collections and see a whole bunch more than we do because their minds are so imaginative. He goes on to further state, “These environments explore the gray areas between seemingly distinct states of being: the alluring and the repulsive; the playful and the threatening; and the natural and the synthetic.” I think he has hit the nail on the head with his description.

Pete Goldlust also produces more “tame” art in the form of carved crayons and he names them things that made me laugh because they are…well, CRAYONS!

Isn’t that some of the craziest, most imaginative art pieces you have ever seen?

1 Shawn September 28, 2009 at 4:27 am

Oh, I DO love the crayons—but the others….hmmmmmm….they made me a bit queasy.

2 Lani September 28, 2009 at 9:17 am

Neat- kind of like 3-D Dali!

Please stop by my Blog For A Cure Blog Party this week on! Its a great way to gain new followers, win some prizes, and support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!

3 Navyvet September 28, 2009 at 10:40 am

I am glad I do not know this man, He is morbid. I thought I was in a star wars movie! Who will ever for get the singer with only lips and eyes for a head and a neck so small she could have never consumed enough to sustain her body which was all butt and hugeeee! Where does my daughter go to arrive with her content for her blog? Needless to say, this was not my favorite,lol.

4 confused homemaker September 28, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Interesting conceptualization that he uses. The twisting of the forms really causes the mind to have to see what the artist is conveying. I like it, weird in a way but very cool in so many others. And crayons, well that's just golden.

5 Genny September 28, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Interesting…very. I've never seen anything like that before.

6 ItsKelly September 28, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Very cool. I love the crayons!

7 Sassy Chica September 28, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Wow that is neat…love the crayons!

Sassy Chica

8 valentine September 28, 2009 at 7:52 pm

while i can appreciate it as being interesting, it is not my style. i am digging those crayons though

9 KK September 29, 2009 at 3:10 am

Um, that just seems weird to me. But I know nothing about art 🙂

10 missy September 30, 2009 at 7:22 pm

i do not know alot about art……but i like to look at it….and i know what i like!!!!!
very cool!!!