I actually looked up the definition of “nerd” and I am totally laughing out loud as I am comparing it to me.
- Nerd is a term often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers or will tend to associate with like-minded people.
So I kept reading…
- The stereotypical nerd is intelligent but socially and physically awkward.
I used to be very socially awkward, but I don’t really have that problem any more. The physically awkward part unfortunately is true and will always be true. I simply run into things, fall, and break stuff constantly. Did you just decide that you won’t ever invite me over to your house? That’s okay. I’m amazed that my mother still lets me come over considering the amount of glue that holds her knick knacks together.
- Some measure of nerdiness is widely considered desirable, because it suggests a person who is intelligent, respectful, interesting, and able to earn a large salary. This is largely attributable to the rise of the computer industry, which has allowed many “nerdy” people (most notably Bill Gates) to accumulate large fortunes and other measures of social prestige.
Whoa there! I was starting to really feel great about myself until I got to the “earn a large salary” part. Maybe I’m not a good nerd after all…LOL.
- The popular computer-news website Slashdot uses the tagline “News for nerds. Stuff that matters.”
I have a subscription to Slashdot and it is really interesting stuff! I don’t think that only nerds enjoy it…Right?
- The Charles J. Sykes quote “Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one” has been popularized on the Internet and incorrectly attributed to Bill Gates.
This can basically be summed up as Nerds Rule!
This whole “nerd” train of thought started when I was surfing the net for selling tips and happened upon this video. I was SO EXCITED! It is TOTALLY cool. I guess this is a test of one’s depth of nerdiness. For instance, I wanted to call everyone I knew to tell them about this, whereas, I can tell my mother that she can stop reading the blog now because it will get boring to her. Definitely a huge difference in attitude! Honestly, this is REALLY exciting…
Didn’t that just blow you away!!!! It makes me think about how this could have been the way they constructed things like the Pyramids of Giza!
- What do you get when you eat a Blackberry?