Texting, Driving and Crashes

by Sherry Riter in Health

You will remember this video clip as well as you do your favorite movie.

I was unable to stop watching. It has rather strong images, so I highly suggest you watch it before you show your younger children. I believe in the shock factor theory, so I hauled my texting queen, Alyssa, in front of the computer and made her watch it. I enforced that she better NEVER pick up the cell phone while in the car…But what if it is someone important calling? Don’t worry…You won’t know that it is someone important because you DO NOT look at your cell phone!

Tredegar Comprehensive and Gwent Police Present a half hour drama ‘COW’ Taster 001, featuring Jenny Davies, Amy Ingram, Laura Quantick

The next clip is great!

The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute released a study on texting while driving. In the study, video cameras were outfitted in the cabs of long-haul trucks for eighteen months. One of the metrics measured was the amount of time the drivers took their eyes from the road to text.

Think about those big trucks passing you on the interstate while you are driving with your small children all belted in the back seat.

Are you ready for this?

Drivers spent approximately five seconds looking at their cell phone devices! Look at the clock and watch the second hand move five seconds. I can’t believe it! The moment that you look away from the road to anything within the car, your hands naturally follow your eyes thus causing you to veer out of your lane. The study found that the risk of a collision by the truckers was twenty-three times greater than just driving the truck without texting.

All drivers have the same characteristics as the truck drivers studied. Think about how long it takes a truck of that size to stop and the lack of maneuverability to change the initial direction at short notice.

Although those statistics are now known and innocent people have died, thirty-six states STILL do not ban texting while driving.

Worst of all…people are still texting!

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! I do not want to share the road with tons of metal around veering from lane to lane because people lack enough self-control to abstain from texting while driving.

1 Suzanne August 25, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I have NO PROBLEM showing this to my girls. This isn't even shocking to me, that's how bad it is. I see people doing this all the time. When my girls send me a text as I'm driving to pick them up from dance or whatever, I'm the one screaming at them when I get there saying "I was driving…DO NOT TEXT me!!!!!!!!!" Yes, I am the crazy mom!:-) I have so much catching up to do on your blog. See ya!

2 Tammy Howard August 25, 2009 at 12:42 pm

It astounds me that anyone could think texting while driving is ok. But the gal in the video had a point – how in the world do you enforce such a ban?

It's all so scary.

3 From the Kitchen August 25, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Good morning Redhead Riter from Richmond (Virginia?–I'm originally from Roanoke). I'd have to send my husband to your house to do the pancakes. I love them but they are my "bane". Just can't do them–it's the flipping that gets me. Watched your powerful video. Very frightening. I don't even talk on my cell phone while driving! They are "outlawed" here in Chicago while driving. Of course, that doesn't stop the "just gotta" talkers.

4 From the Kitchen August 25, 2009 at 1:48 pm

No trading with a non-cooking husband! Sorry! You'll have to get your pancakes at McDonald's.

5 Heather August 25, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I agree 100%, and am having to make a conscious effort myself. Beyond texting, doing anything but driving. A week ago, today, my baby cousin was killed in a rollover accident. Her mom was driving, and reached back to give her a sippy cup, then lost control of the car. So tragic, and terrible, and a reminder to stay focused. We are all so easily distracted.

6 Under the Influence August 25, 2009 at 1:57 pm

The ONE time I texted in the car, I almost wrecked. Haven't done it since and won't.

I live in a state without a texting while driving law, but they are talking about making it illegal. That should take about ten years!

7 Scrappy Girl August 25, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I think texting while driving is SO stupid…but there are a lot of "dummies" out there.

8 Lee August 25, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Wow and I TOTALLY agree. Even talking on the cell while driving is dangerous. I think every state should have laws against texting while driving as well as hands free phones in the car.

9 Suzie August 25, 2009 at 5:29 pm

I can't watch this video. My daughter and I were in a car accident in April. The woman that hit us was going at a very high rate of speed and went through a red light. She was totally distracted by something. She never even tried to stop. Luckily I saw her and slammed on my brakes. She hit my engine, sent my car into a spin and hit us again on the side. She then went into a telephone pole. Had I not seen her the police said I could very possibly not be here today. My daughter Lily was untouched physically, but we both have a hard time driving through traffic now. The woman that hit us is still in a coma.

10 Tellie August 25, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Thanks for sharing this. That video really made me stop and think. I've always thought not texting while driving was common sense. But sometimes common sense ain't common.

11 PropellerHeadMom August 25, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Wow – that was a scary video.

I believe in NJ, the use of hand-held cell phones is prohibited while driving. This would make text messaging while driving illegal as well. I think the fine is well over $200 and they have been catching a lot of people. I live in PA but sometimes travel to NJ on business – which is why I had to familiarize myself with their laws. I always have to remember to take my headset in the car with me.

12 Audrey August 25, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I heard a similar horror story where a Clemson graduate was texting while driving his tractor and accidentally unplowed 112 acres. What a shame.

Sorry, not to make light of the subject, I couldn't resist the Clemson joke.

13 Kelly August 27, 2009 at 3:33 am

That video is very powerful. I've been hearing about it all week, but this is the first time I've watched. Thank you for posting it.