I Will Tell

by Sherry Riter in Alyssa,Tom

Why won’t anyone else tell?

They see it!

It bothers them!

They like you and some of them love you, but they won’t tell you?

Where’s the logic in that statement?

I’m a very logical person and if I can not figure out the logic, it pretty much drives me crazy.

Whether I know the person or not if there is food in their teeth, lipstick on their teeth, something is in their hair, or on their nose and face, I’m going to tell them. Why not?

No, really, why not?

Why don’t most people tell you that there are glaring “things” on your body that are out of whack?

Are we embarrassed by these very human mishaps?

Maybe we should take a lesson from the children. How fast can children, even those who have never seen you before, pick apart your appearance? They say things like:

• Your nose is big.
  • Your make-up looks like a clown.
  • Your dress is ugly.
  • Your hair looks weird.
  • Why does your mouth move like that when you talk?
  • You have lots of hair on your arms.
  • You’re old.
  • Your house is dirty.

Surely pointing out a “thing” on someone else is helpful! Right?

I had lunch “out” with my husband and daughter. We eat. We talk. The waiter comes and goes. People pass by our table arriving and leaving. Basically, it is a normal restaurant busy with activity. When it is time to leave, without a mirror, I re-apply my lipstick.

I smile and thank the waiter.

I smile and thank the hostess.

I smile and thank the other hostess who is holding open the door.

Finally, back in the car, I pull down the mirror to make sure my lipstick didn’t look wacky.

“Why didn’t the two of you tell me that I have a garden growing out of my front tooth?!”

“What?” they both asked.

“I didn’t see anything,” my husband says.

“Me either!” replies my daughter.

Does that mean that I am invisible to them?

Even now, the two of them act as if it is of no consequence.

Alyssa is already putting the ipod thingies in her ears.

Tom has the seat laying back with his eyes closed.

I bet if I was that Edward dude from Twilight or Brad Paisley the guitar strummer, both Alyssa and Tom would notice every little nuance of my existence.

Edward Brad Paisley

Mommy Blogger of The Year Award

1 Kelly's Ideas August 21, 2009 at 4:16 am

funny – I remember in college I had a professor on Monday morning and later in the evening. In the morning he had this really gross booger hanging out his nose.. no one said a thing but we all laughed behind his back.. that evening he had the same booger – he had it hanging around ALL day and no one said a thing… it's a really funny memory..

2 Morgan August 21, 2009 at 5:36 am

I would tell you.

3 article marketing August 21, 2009 at 6:14 am

I am in awe of your job list. I keep reading it over and over and over.

4 Opus #6 August 21, 2009 at 6:24 am

LOL about Edward. But I could never tell him about the spinach either.

5 Yaya August 21, 2009 at 8:16 am

I always tell people.
Honestly, I think people just don't really LOOK at people anymore, ya know?

6 PropellerHeadMom August 21, 2009 at 11:37 am

Once my mom and I went to the movies. We got there late so it was already dark when we went in and sat down. When we got home, the dog kept try to lick my mom's butt. Turns out there was a lolipop stuck to it. I feel bad for not noticing. But it was pretty funny 🙂

7 Tammy Howard August 21, 2009 at 11:48 am

If Edward Cullen had spinach on his teeth, the teens and tweens and even a lot of the twenties and beyond would deem it sexy and would wish they had spinach on their teeth, too.

8 Lee August 21, 2009 at 2:24 pm

That is so funny! I have let my hubby walk around with food in his teeth, but that was just cuz he made me mad!!

9 Stacey August 21, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I will usually tell people.

10 Debbie in Nashville August 21, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I know what you mean! It makes you look/feel so stupid when you discover it yourself but if someone would just point it out it would be great!

I think people just think it is easier not to say anything but they really should say something!

I try to…

11 Kimi August 21, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Moms. We are just background. Scenery really.

12 Kimberly August 21, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I'll usually do the old hand signal!

13 everyday mom of one August 21, 2009 at 7:00 pm

You are sooo right I always ask the same thing, I have certain pairs of pants where my fly is always at half mast and no one ever tells me. HELLO

LOL I love your blog. Thanks for dropping by mine and leaving a comment.

Going to add you to my favs now!!

14 Jenn August 21, 2009 at 7:39 pm

I'm with ya. It's like we are invisible at times. I will always tell you.

15 Stereos and Souffles August 21, 2009 at 7:51 pm

The only time I don't want to say something is when a man's zipper is down. I'm afraid he'll be wondering why I was looking down there. Hee hee.

16 missy August 21, 2009 at 7:55 pm

i tell too!!!!
if i tell my husband always gives me the look of…..oh my gosh here she goes again!!!!!!!
i want to know so i want others to feel like they can tell me!!!!!

17 Kelly August 22, 2009 at 8:34 pm

It's so true, children don't hold back for a second. What happens to us when we grow up? I think we think we are protecting that person, but really by not telling it's just making the situation worse. I'm so guilty of this.

18 panamamama April 16, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Too funny! I am always telling my family I feel invisible and might as well run away!